[protege-owl] connecting data properties between classes

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Wed Jan 13 10:49:45 PST 2010

On Jan 13, 2010, at 9:46 AM, James Prentice wrote:

> If you have two classes A and B, and class A has some data property X
> and B has some data property Y, is there any way to specify that the
> value of X (for some instance of A) should be set to whatever the
> value of Y is (for some instance of B) ? I was thinking this could be
> done with property chains, but Protege seems to only allow chains for
> object properties. Anyway, perhaps there is a simpler way.

No.

The OWL language does not have any mechanism for specifying
constraints across multiple classes.  In fact, you can't even have
general constraints between two properties on the same class.  (OWL
2.0 has a limited ability to do this with "self" as one of the
fillers, but not in general).

 From your description, it isn't even clear to me how you identify
the two instances that you want to have share a value.  Presumably
there is some other property relating those two instances?
Especially since you talk of property chains?  In any case, you could
most likely write SWRL rules that will accomplish what you wish.

I suppose it may also be possible, using the HasKey feature, to have
unique proxy objects for the datatype values and then you may be able
to use object property chains to constrain the values.