[protege-owl] Inheritance?

Poovendran Moodley moodleyp at cs.ukzn.ac.za
Wed Jan 13 14:13:03 PST 2010

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to modelling ontologies and there are a few things that I've
been wondering about. I've tried searching for more information but I'm not
even sure about the keywords to use in such a search.

I have a situation where a group of individuals share a common
characteristic - in this case, they must all be related to 3 other
individuals (by an object property). I was wondering if it's possible to
create a class/class restriction such that if *x* is an element of said
class, then it must be the case that *x* has a predefined object property
linking it to another individual, such that if *x* does not have the right
properties, it will be assigned those properties.
I understand that I can create an equivalence class so that any individual
with certain properties belong to said class, but I want the opposite to be
possible: if an individual is part of the class then it should *inherit *the
object properties (linking to the appropriate individuals) specified for
that class.

At the very least I suppose that I could add the object properties manually
- thought that seems awfully tedious. Perhaps I'm thinking within the object
oriented box a bit too much but it seems useful to be able to automatically
assign object properties like so. Any suggestions around this or to remodel
this situation would be greatly appreciated :)

I'm using Protege 4, just in case that makes a difference. Thank you for
your time and consideration.

Kind regards
Pooven