[protege-owl] Protégé-owl quetions?

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Wed Jan 13 18:38:59 PST 2010

kheireddine Houa wrote:
> Hello sir,
> I'have 2 questions about ontolgy and developemnt.
>
> Q1: My interest is to develop(create) an ontology with the RDF/XML
> standard.
>
> I’m using Jena after to query this ontology (rdf file) to extract
> information from this file(ontology).
>
> I’m using eclipse to use Jena (RDQL) for this. Is it possible to use
> Jena with protégé in order to query this file and extract information?
>
> I have developed the ontology with Protégé_3.3.1 version. And I would
> like to work with the new version of Protégé, is it possible to open
> the ontology in the new version, what do suggest to me to work with
> which version of Protégé-owl?

Protege 3.3.1 is pretty old. I would recommend either Protege 3.4.2 or
Protege 4.0 (these are very different editors). It is possible to use
Protege 3.4.2 to extract and search for information in an OWL file. You
mention using Protege with Jena but I don't understand your motivation
exactly. If you are writing code, then it would seem that Jena might
suffice. Perhaps most of your codebase is based on Jena and a small
amount of it will involve Protege 3? Then it would be possible to get a
Jena model from a Protege model but the other direction is awkward.

> Q2: what’s the difference between Protégé-OWL & Protégé-Frames?

Protege 3.4.2 OWL is based on a w3 standard (OWL 1.0) and Protege 4 OWL
is based on the OWL 2.0 standard. OWL ontologies can be read or written
in Protege and these same ontologies can be shared with other OWL based
tools.

Protege Frames is based on an older ontology language. The Protege
frames ontology language is applicable in some situations where OWL is
difficult to apply (e.g. the closed world assumption but this is whole
different story). But the major disadvantage of the Protege frames
language is that it is not standardized and there is no semantics. I
think that the presence of a standard is very important and would
recommend OWL over frames.

-Timothy