[protege-owl] Protege 3.4.1 SAXParser NoSuchMethodError on Mac OSX

Chris Davis c_b_dvs at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 14 09:00:19 PST 2010

I've been having a problem getting Protege 3.4.1 to open an owl file (pizza.owl) on a Mac running OSX 10.5.8.  I've seen some other messages here indicating that the problems I have with the NoSuchMethodError for the SAXParser are related to build path issues, but I'm just using the GUI and have a fresh download from the site.  I've used both the 1.5 and 1.6 versions of the JVM, and get the same error on both.  As an experiment, figuring that Protege is written in java, I also copied the folder of a working Protege copy from a linux machine, and then tried it on the mac, and ran into the same problem.

Chris

Starting Protege with the shell script "sh ./run_protege.sh" and then trying to load the owl file gives me:

Protege 3.4.1 Build 537, JVM 1.5.0_19-b02-304, memory=520M, Mac OS X, encoding=UTF-8, language=en, country=US
Loaded plugin edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl - OWL Plugin
Loaded plugin ca.uvic.cs.chisel.jambalaya - Jambalaya
Loaded plugin dfki.protege.ontoviz
Loaded plugin edu.stanford.smi.protegex.rdf_backend - RDF Backend
Loaded plugin edu.stanford.smi.protegex.changes - Changes tab
Loaded plugin edu.stanford.smi.protegex.standard_extensions - Graph Widget, Table Widget
Loaded plugin edu.stanford.smi.protegex.chatPlugin - Chat
Loaded plugin edu.stanford.smi.protege.collab - Collaborative Protege
Loaded plugin edu.stanford.smi.protege.script - Script Plugin
Loaded plugin edu.stanford.smi.protege.stringsearch - String Search Tab
Loaded plugin edu.stanford.smi.protegex.datamaster - DataMaster Tab
Loaded plugin edu.stanford.smi.protegex.pal_tabs - PAL Tabs
Loaded plugin edu.stanford.smi.protegex.ezpal - EZPal Tab
Loaded plugin edu.stanford.smi.protegex.facets_tab
Loaded plugin edu.stanford.smi.protegex.instance_tree
Loaded plugin edu.stanford.smi.protegex.prompt - PROMPT Tab
Loaded plugin edu.stanford.smi.protegex.metaanalysis - MetaAnalysis Tab
Loaded plugin edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.inference.pellet - Protege Pellet Reasoner
Loaded plugin edu.stanford.smi.protegex.umls_tab - UMLS Tab
Loaded plugin edu.stanford.smi.protegex.wordnet - WordNet Tab
Loaded plugin edu.stanford.smi.protegex.xml_tab - XML Tab
Loaded plugin org.algernon - Algernon
Loaded plugin se.liu.ida.JessTab - JessTab Plugin
Loaded plugin uk.ac.iam.soton.akt.tgviztab - TGVizTab
Loaded plugin uk.ac.man.cs.mig.coode.debugger
Loaded plugin uk.ac.man.cs.mig.coode.manchesterowlsyntaxeditor
Loaded plugin uk.ac.man.cs.mig.coode.owldoc
Loaded plugin uk.ac.man.cs.mig.coode.owlindividualstab
Loaded plugin uk.ac.man.cs.mig.coode.owlviz
Loaded plugin uk.ac.man.cs.mig.coode.protege.wizard - Basic Wizards
Loaded plugin uk.ac.man.cs.mig.coode.protege.wizard.owl - OWL Wizards
SEVERE: Uncaught Exception -- java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser.<init>(Lorg/apache/xerces/xni/parser/XMLParserConfiguration;)
   at com.hp.hpl.jena.rdf.arp.impl.RDFXMLParser$MySAXParser.<init>(RDFXMLParser.java:55)
   at com.hp.hpl.jena.rdf.arp.impl.RDFXMLParser.create(RDFXMLParser.java:82)
   at com.hp.hpl.jena.rdf.arp.ARP.<init>(ARP.java:101)
   at edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.jena.parser.ProtegeOWLParser.createARP(Unknown Source)
   at edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.jena.parser.ProtegeOWLParser.loadTriples(Unknown Source)
   at edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.jena.parser.ProtegeOWLParser.run(Unknown Source)
   at edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.jena.JenaKnowledgeBaseFactory.loadKnowledgeBase(Unknown Source)
   at edu.stanford.smi.protege.model.Project.loadDomainKB(Unknown Source)
   at edu.stanford.smi.protege.model.Project.createDomainKnowledgeBase(Unknown Source)
   at edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.jena.creator.OwlProjectFromUriCreator.create(Unknown Source)
   at edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.jena.CreateOWLProjectFromFilePlugin.createProject(Unknown Source)
   at edu.stanford.smi.protege.util.ProjectChooser.useCreateProjectFromFilePlugin(Unknown Source)
   at edu.stanford.smi.protege.util.ProjectChooser.getProjectFromFile(Unknown Source)
   at edu.stanford.smi.protege.util.ProjectChooser.getProject(Unknown Source)
   at edu.stanford.smi.protege.ui.ProjectManager.getRequestedProject(Unknown Source)
   at edu.stanford.smi.protege.ui.ProjectManager.openProjectRequest(Unknown Source)
   at edu.stanford.smi.protege.ui.WelcomeDialog.openOtherButton_actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
   at edu.stanford.smi.protege.ui.WelcomeDialog$3.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
   at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:1882)
   at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2202)
   at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:420)
   at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:258)
   at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(BasicButtonListener.java:236)
   at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(AWTEventMulticaster.java:231)
   at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:5602)
   at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3135)
   at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4068)
   at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2068)
   at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4256)
   at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:3936)
   at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:3866)
   at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2054)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:269)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:190)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:180)
   at java.awt.Dialog$1.run(Dialog.java:535)
   at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:269)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:190)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:184)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:176)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:110)