[protege-owl] Metadata and Imported ontology exports

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Fri Jan 15 10:58:29 PST 2010

On Jan 15, 2010, at 2:55 AM, Maxime MONNIN wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I'm  using the Metadata features of Protégé to develop Ontologies
> based on another Ontology as metadata.
>
> The metadata ontology is imported in order to enable concepts to be
> detailed and refined in the designed ontology.
>
> Protégé enables to retrieve all the features (concepts taxinomy
> properties...) of the metadata ontology but I didn't find a means
> to export the whole ontology i.e. the Metadata ontology and the
> designed one in the same file (as N-triple for example).

In general one doesn't do this.
Instead, your ontology already imports the metadata ontology.

Anyone who wants to use your ontology will import your ontology,
which will then transitively cause the metadata ontology to be imported.

> Did I make a mistake of understanding ? Does anyone know a way to
> export the whole ontology in order to enable reasoning on all the
> concepts (from the designed ones to the metadata) ?

Anyone importing your ontology should be able to reason with all of
the concepts, both the local and the imported ones.