[protege-owl] NonSimpleRoleInNumberRestrictionException (was UML metamodel to Ontology)

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Sat Jan 16 08:19:09 PST 2010

Rodolfo Rieckhof wrote:
> I realize i was not specific enough in my latest Post so: I am using
> Protege 4, and  the exact exception looks like this.
>
> ReasonerException:
> uk.ac.manchester.cs.factplusplus.owlapi.FaCTPlusPlusReasonerException:
> uk.ac.manchester.cs.factplusplus.owlapi.FaCTPlusPlusReasonerException:
> uk.ac.manchester.cs.factplusplus.NonSimpleRoleInNumberRestrictionException:

This probably means exactly what it sounds like but to understand it you
need to be familiar with one of the more technical sections of the OWL 2
specification [1].  You have told us that you are creating a transitive
object property.  This object property is not a simple role (by the
definitions in [1]).   The specification then goes on to say that

> *Restriction on Simple Roles.* Each class expression and each axiom in
> /Ax/ of type from the following two lists contains only simple object
> properties.
>
>     * ObjectMinCardinality, ObjectMaxCardinality,
>       ObjectExactCardinality, and ObjectHasSelf .
>     * FunctionalObjectProperty, InverseFunctionalObjectProperty,
>       IrreflexiveObjectProperty, AsymmetricObjectProperty, and
>       DisjointObjectProperties.

In particular the asymmetric object property axiom is a problem.
FaCT++ is telling you that it cannot reason with this ontology because
it does not meet the specification.  Hopefully sometime soon Protege 4
will have some support for alerting you to this situation.

-Timothy

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/REC-owl2-syntax-20091027/#Global_Restrictions_on_Axioms_in_OWL_2_DL