[protege-owl] Insane Java preferences directory names

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Sun Jan 17 11:56:39 PST 2010

So first of all, the fact that we are telling people how to work with
preferences outside the Protege api indicates a defect in Protege. We
probably shouldn't be encouraging people to look here. Second, the fact
that the file names are extreme is internal design choice of the Sun
Java Preferences implementation. They are apparently representing some
of our data as the names of files. I am guessing slightly but I think
that these file names are the serialization of various preferences.

This being said - we are thinking of putting these preferences in some
xml format inside the ~/.Protege directory. Perhaps we would use
xstream. We have started using a ~/.Protege directory to solve the
problem of Protege not working well when the application permissions are
set to read-only. This has created some problems in windows vista when
Protege is installed in the "Program Files" directory or on systems that
want to use one copy of Protege in a multi-user environment.

Such an xml file would be more likely to be readable though this is not
necessarily an advantage. We would have to even more strenuously
recommend that people leave this file alone.

-Timothy