[protege-owl] Shiq

Thomas Schneider schneidt at cs.man.ac.uk
Mon Jan 18 06:58:37 PST 2010

Yes, the DL complexity navigator (Fariz's link) is very helpful when
it comes to playing with different description logics (DLs), their
expressive features, and the question whether reasoning in them is
difficult or possible at all.

SHIQ is an extension of the basic DL called ALC. Fariz's account is
correct AFAICT, but I would like to translate that into OWL-speak:
Strictly speaking, the letter "S" stands for "ALC plus transitive
roles", where "transitive roles" means that axioms declaring an
abstract role (object property) to be transitive. Other means of
expressivity are

H: sub property axioms involving object properties
R: sub property axioms involving object properties where the left-side
can be a property chain
I: inverse object properties
Q: min, max, exact cardinality restrictions
O: nominals
(D): datatypes and corresponding expressions are allowed

OWL 1.1 was approximately SHOIQ(D), and OWL 2 DL is SROIQ(D) with some
global restrictions so as not to lose decidability. The OWL side of
this story can be found in the OWL specification [1], the DL side in
the DL handbook [2].

Cheers

Thomas

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/REC-owl2-syntax-20091027/
[2] F. Baader et al., The Description Logic Handbook, 2nd edition,
Cambridge University Press, 2007.