[protege-owl] Metadata and Imported ontology exports

Maxime MONNIN maxime.monnin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 09:11:04 PST 2010

Hi !
first I would like to thank Thomas Russ for his response but I do not find the right process to solve my problem.

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 10:58:29 -0800
> From: Thomas Russ <tar at ISI.EDU>
> To: User support for the Protege-OWL editor
> 	<protege-owl at lists.stanford.edu>
> Subject: Re: [protege-owl] Metadata and Imported ontology exports
>

> On Jan 15, 2010, at 2:55 AM, Maxime MONNIN wrote:
>

>> Hi !
>>
>> I'm  using the Metadata features of Prot?g? to develop Ontologies
>> based on another Ontology as metadata.
>>
>> The metadata ontology is imported in order to enable concepts to be
>> detailed and refined in the designed ontology.
>>
>> Prot?g? enables to retrieve all the features (concepts taxinomy
>> properties...) of the metadata ontology but I didn't find a means
>> to export the whole ontology i.e. the Metadata ontology and the
>> designed one in the same file (as N-triple for example).
>>

> In general one doesn't do this.
> Instead, your ontology already imports the metadata ontology.
>
> Anyone who wants to use your ontology will import your ontology,
> which will then transitively cause the metadata ontology to be imported.
>

>> Did I make a mistake of understanding ? Does anyone know a way to
>> export the whole ontology in order to enable reasoning on all the
>> concepts (from the designed ones to the metadata) ?
>>

> Anyone importing your ontology should be able to reason with all of
> the concepts, both the local and the imported ones.

In fact, once the ontology is developed using protégé I need to export
it as N-Triple in order to load it in an Oracle database (for managing
many instance in another system based on the Ontology).

the process followed within Protégé is "File -> export to format ->
N-triple"

However, in the N-Triple file the imported ontology only appears as

<owl:Ontology rdf:about="">
    <owl:imports rdf:resource="http://www.owl-ontologies.com/xxxxxxxx.owl"/>
  </owl:Ontology>

Is there another way to export the whole ontology (local and imported
ones)  to N-triple format  for retrieving all the concepts  (local and
impported ones) in the oracle database ??

Thanks in advance

Regards

Maxime.