[protege-owl] Metadata and Imported ontology exports

Jean-Marc Vanel jeanmarc.vanel at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 09:41:06 PST 2010

2010/1/19 Maxime MONNIN <maxime.monnin at gmail.com>

> Hi !
> first I would like to thank Thomas Russ for his response but I do not find
> the right process to solve my problem.

Cher Maxime,

I tried  Refactor / merge ontologies in Protégé 4, and it worked fine .

>  ------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 3
>> Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 10:58:29 -0800
>> From: Thomas Russ <tar at ISI.EDU>
>> To: User support for the Protege-OWL editor
>>        <protege-owl at lists.stanford.edu>
>> Subject: Re: [protege-owl] Metadata and Imported ontology exports
>>

>> On Jan 15, 2010, at 2:55 AM, Maxime MONNIN wrote:
>>

>>> Hi !
>>>
>>> I'm  using the Metadata features of Prot?g? to develop Ontologies  based
>>> on another Ontology as metadata.
>>>
>>> The metadata ontology is imported in order to enable concepts to be
>>>  detailed and refined in the designed ontology.
>>>
>>> Prot?g? enables to retrieve all the features (concepts taxinomy
>>>  properties...) of the metadata ontology but I didn't find a means  to
>>> export the whole ontology i.e. the Metadata ontology and the  designed one
>>> in the same file (as N-triple for example).
>>>

>> In general one doesn't do this.
>> Instead, your ontology already imports the metadata ontology.
>>
>> Anyone who wants to use your ontology will import your ontology,  which
>> will then transitively cause the metadata ontology to be imported.
>>

>>> Did I make a mistake of understanding ? Does anyone know a way to  export
>>> the whole ontology in order to enable reasoning on all the  concepts (from
>>> the designed ones to the metadata) ?
>>>

>> Anyone importing your ontology should be able to reason with all of  the
>> concepts, both the local and the imported ones.
>>

> In fact, once the ontology is developed using protégé I need to export it
> as N-Triple in order to load it in an Oracle database (for managing many
> instance in another system based on the Ontology).
>
> the process followed within Protégé is "File -> export to format ->
> N-triple"
>
> However, in the N-Triple file the imported ontology only appears as
>

> <owl:Ontology rdf:about="">
>   <owl:imports rdf:resource="http://www.owl-ontologies.com/xxxxxxxx.owl"/>
>  </owl:Ontology>
>
> Is there another way to export the whole ontology (local and imported ones)
>  to N-triple format  for retrieving all the concepts  (local and impported
> ones) in the oracle database ??
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Regards
>
> Maxime.

Jean-Marc Vanel
Consulting, services, training,
Rule-based programming, Semantic Web
http://jmvanel.free.fr/
+33 (0)6 89 16 29 52 -- +33 (0)1 39 55 58 16
( we rarely listen to voice messages, please send a mail instead )