[protege-owl] about swrl semantic

Emrah Tufan emrahtufan at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 21 07:16:08 PST 2010

Hello,

One of the post in the list mentions about the swrl semantic. The link is https://mailman.stanford.edu/pipermail/protege-owl/2008-July/007755.html.
In the post It is said that:

"However, comparing  individuals or classes or properties with datatype values is beyond SWRL's semantics."

I have a problem that I think related with the statement above. My ontology have a class InfrastructureCompany, Event, Action, DCIsolation and MidVoltageLine class. DCIsolation is subclass of Action class.
My properties are;
hasName which is DataType property and whose Domain are InfrastructureCompany, Event.
hasDuration which is DataType property and whose Domain is Event
hasObjectType which is Object property and whose Domain is Event and range is MidVoltageLine
hasEvent which is Object property and whose Domain is InfrastructureCompany and range is Event.

One of my rule is;

InfrastructureCompany(?x)  ∧
hasName(?x, ?y)  ∧
swrlb:equal(?y, "BEDAS")  ∧
hasEvent(?x, ?z)  ∧
hasName(?z, ?b)  ∧
swrlb:equal(?b, "Maintenance")  ∧
hasDuration(?z, ?a)  ∧
swrlb:lessThan(?a, 30)  ∧
hasObjectType(?z, ?c)  ∧
MidVoltageLine(?c)
  → resultIn(?z, DCIsolation)

and I have a query

InfrastructureCompany(?x)  ∧
hasName(?x, ?y)  ∧
swrlb:equal(?y, "BEDAS")  ∧
hasEvent(?x, ?z)  ∧
hasName(?z, ?b)  ∧
swrlb:equal(?b, "Maintenance")  ∧
hasDuration(?z, ?a)  ∧
swrlb:greaterThan(?a, 30)  ∧
hasObjectType(?z, ?c)  ∧
electricity:MidVoltageLine(?c)  ∧
resultIn(?z, ?d)
  → sqwrl:select(?d)

The query produces DCIsolation result if there are appropriate individuals in the ontology. My question is about the logic I have used. I have used the individuals which has both datatype and object value. Am I right if we think in terms of swrl semantic. If not, how should I reorganize the ontology and rule?

Many thanks