[protege-owl] Enumerated Classes and Special Relationships

Thomas Schneider schneidt at cs.man.ac.uk
Thu Jan 21 16:37:54 PST 2010

Hi Pooven,

On 21 Jan 2010, at 16:31, Poovendran Moodley wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Thank you for your response. Please see in-line for my reply... and
> as always, I'm am very grateful for the assistance.
>

>> On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 5:38 PM, Thomas Schneider <schneidt at cs.man.ac.uk
>> > wrote:
>> Hi Pooven,
>>
>> If you really want to say *all* individuals in A are in relation P
>> with *all* individuals from B, then it's not enough to say this
>> explicitly only for all individuals asserted to be instances of A
>> or B. You'd want this for inferred individuals as well, I suppose.
>
> It's unlikely that an Individual will be inferred to belong to
> either class A or B. These classes are, for all intents and
> purposes, primitive classes, it's just that I've made them
> enumerated classes because I was curious to see how my hierarchy
> would look; they don't form domains or ranges for any of the object
> properties and are subclasses of the classes that are specified in
> the domains and ranges.

But even if they are named, what if you later extend your ontology by
definitions, say A = Person and owns some Animal, then you declare Bob
to be of type Person and to own Fluffy, who is of type Bird, which is
a subclass of Animal. You can then infer Bob to be of type A, so
wouldn't you want to include all pairs of individuals containing Bob
into the extension of property P?

> I'm sorry Dr. Schneider, I'm not sure why the explicit relationship
> won't be enough? I would have expect that even inferred Individuals
> would have inferred upon them, any additional relationships I define
> in the equivalence class - I mean, since I'm using the value keyword
> and not some. Could you perhaps explain this a bit more?

Well, if you say A subClassOf P only B, then the only thing you have
said is that every individual of A has only P-values in B. But this
doesn't say that every individual in A has *all* B-instances as P-
values. In fact, it even allows for any A-instance to have no P-values
at all. Turning the "subClassOf" into an equivalence or adding the
same axiom with A and B exchanged doesn't solve this problem.

Or were you thinking of another way to express this?

Cheers

Thomas