[protege-owl] How to detect undefined references in rdf:resource

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Fri Jan 22 09:11:21 PST 2010

Jaroslaw Slawinski wrote:
> Maybe this is a solution for you (but need write a short program (with
> Jena/owlapi/pellet/maybe rdflib (python))): check if the individual
> has only the owl:Thing type. It does not guarantee that only such the
> individuals you obtain but maybe it is enough for you. Moreover, you
> can list all individuals from a model and test them if they have
> properties.

This is exactly what I would suggest (to find untyped resources) with a
couple of amendments.  You will probably need to use an rdf api because
the OWL api will try to fit the ontology into OWL 2 DL and hence will
infer types when it can.  (The OWL api does have an rdf api included  so
this is still an option that way).  Second I would check if the resource
has no type.  The owl:Thing type would indicate that it has already been
typed as an individual.

-Timothy