[protege-owl] Enumerated Classes and Special Relationships

Poovendran Moodley moodleyp at
Mon Jan 25 04:32:20 PST 2010

Hi Dr. Schneider

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 11:06 AM, Thomas Schneider <schneidt at>wrote:

> No, the circle denotes the concatenation of roles or, in OWL speak, an
> object property chain. The axiom "R1 o Inv(R2) subPropertyOf R" means that
> whenever an individual x has some individual y as R1-value and y has z as
> Inv(R2)-value, then x has z as R-value. Your modelling says something
> different.

Thank you for clearing that up. I haven't actually noticed property chains
before! Thank you for clearing up the concept. It works as expected :)

>  While it does give me the results I was searching for, are there any
>> shortcomings or reservations that I should be aware of? I was thinking of a
>> transitive role and an intermediate individual but wasn't sure if it made
>> sense to model knowledge in that way... but it seems it's an effective work
>> around :)
> Well, if you use the solution as given in the paper, you might have to take
> care that the global restrictions on axioms in OWL 2 DL [1] aren't violated
> when you use the roles R, R1, R2 in other axioms.

I'll be sure to read the link you've given me. Thank you for all of your
help! And to the other members... this is an awesome mailing list!