[protege-owl] how to use concept definition as part of SQWRL query?

Mudunuri, Venkata Rajashekar Varma Raj.Mudunuri at medizin.uni-leipzig.de
Mon Jan 25 18:33:05 PST 2010

Hi,

is there any source to find out how SQWRL queries are framed when asserted conditions are used as part of the queries? I have the following example… suppose I have the following simple knowledgebase…

University
    EngineeringFaculty
        Mechanical => (hasSubject some Thermodynamics)
        Electronics => (hasSubject some Microprocessors)
    Subject
        Thermodynamics
        Microprocessors

Now, I want to extract the information, where I want to find out the Faculty that is conceptually defined in terms of the Subjects (with the hasSubject property)… I could get what I want with the following sparql query…

SELECT ?faculty ?course
WHERE {
    ?faculty rdfs:subClassOf :University .
    ?course rdfs:subClassOf ?faculty .
    ?course rdfs:subClassOf ?restriction .
    ?restriction rdf:type owl:Restriction .
    ?restriction owl:onProperty :hasSubject .
    ?restriction owl:someValuesFrom :Microprocessors .
}

However, I was trying to achieve the same with SQWRL but I don’t know how to put the RHS of the concept definition as a condition in the query… I tried this way but did not return any result…

tbox:isDirectSubClassOf(?x, University)  ^  tbox:isDirectSubClassOf(?y, ?x)  ^  hasSubject(?y, Microprocessors) → sqwrl:select(?x, ?y)

my question is, how do we use the complex concept definitions (that might involve multiple object properties) as part of the SQWRL queries!! I’m looking out for the semantic richness that SQWRL queries provide…

cheers,
Raj