[protege-owl] Ontology query

Wouter Theetaert wouter.theetaert at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 07:26:52 PST 2010

Dear all,

I have an ontology which looks like this:
- Classes: 'Person', 'Location'
- Properties: 'hasLocation'
- Individuals: 'Wouter' (of class Person), 'Kitchen' (of class Location).

Using the latest version of the OWL API (v3), it's no problem to add 'Wouter
hasLocation Kitchen' to the ontology. Indeed, when I look at the ontology
with Protege afterwards, 'hasLocation Kitchen' is added to the Individual
'Wouter'.

I would like to get around the other way, now. Given the Individual Wouter,
I want to know its location. This is in fact some kind of query, but after
spending hours on Google, I still didn't find out how to do that. This are
the queries I want to execute:
- Given the Individual Wouter, what is its location? ('Wouter hasLocation
Kitchen' is added to the ontology, so I want the Individual 'Kitchen' as a
response).
- What are the Individuals that are located in the Kitchen? (the response
should be 'Wouter', in this case).

I've read about SQWRL, but if I'm correct this was only worked out in an
older version of Protégé-OWL (in the SWRLTab plugin). Protégé 4 doensn't
even support SQWRL. My question is simple: is querying like I mentioned
before possible with OWL API v3? What options do I have?

Thanks in advance,
Wouter