[protege-owl] adding read/write support for another OWL embedding filetype to protege OWL

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Fri Jul 2 09:21:17 PDT 2010

On 07/01/2010 05:12 AM, Johannes Schauer wrote:
> the fileformat embeds clear manchester style owl in several sections - some sections extending or building on others.
> i was searching without much avail in how to best implement functionality to read a certain or all OWL parts out of these files into protege and store them back without destructing the other contents of the file and maintaining the overall structure.

This will take some work.  The document format you are describing is not
owl and will need special parsing.  As such you will also need to define
what it means to "load" this file in Protege, since Protege is an owl
editor.  I think that these issues can be worked out though. I would
guess you would want some "import" and "export" menus.

It is possible to use OWL API parsers to parse an axiom or other OWL
fragment.   I am not sure what issues you will see with determining
where the owl fragment ends but you may need some delimiters around the
owl fragments anyway.  The OWL link people must have done something like
this with their implementation of the OWL link protocol.  Of course it
is pretty easy to tell where an xml fragment begins and ends so this
probably helped them with their implementation.