[protege-owl] DL query : is it possible to write query with key words such as Type

Thomas Schneider schneidt at cs.man.ac.uk
Tue Jul 6 02:29:36 PDT 2010

Hi Mathilde,

in the DL query tab, you can enter the class expression {a} if a is
your individual, and then tick the checkbox "Superclasses". The
results are all classes of which a is an instance. (Precisely
speaking, your query will be asking for all classes that are
subclasses of the class whose instance is exactly the individual named
by the nominal a.)

You can change the reasoner if you install plugins for other state-of-
the-art reasoners such as FaCT++ [1] or Pellet [2]. The advantage of
having several reasoners available can be described as follows: since
reasoning in OWL is computationally hard, every reasoner has to use a
number of optimisations to handle even large ontologies. Different
reasoners usually employ different optimisations, and therefore some
large ontologies can be handled faster by one reasoner, and others by
another. This difference shouldn't matter much for small ontologies
though. However, the *results* should never differ, unless there's a
bug in a reasoner. In addition, some reasoners support features beyond
OWL, e.g., Pellet supports rules, I believe.

Cheers

Thomas

[1] http://code.google.com/p/factplusplus/
[2] http://clarkparsia.com/pellet