[protege-owl] adding read/write support for another OWL embedding filetype to protege OWL

Johannes Schauer j.schauer at email.de
Wed Jul 7 04:37:39 PDT 2010

>> the fileformat embeds clear manchester style owl in several sections - some sections extending or building on others.
>> i was searching without much avail in how to best implement functionality to read a certain or all OWL parts out of these files into protege and store them back without destructing the other contents of the file and maintaining the overall structure.
>>
>This will take some work.  The document format you are describing is not
>owl and will need special parsing.  As such you will also need to define
>what it means to "load" this file in Protege, since Protege is an owl
>editor.  I think that these issues can be worked out though. I would
>guess you would want some "import" and "export" menus.

actually loading the file is pretty easy - i use javacc to parse it and extract the clear manchester owl parts.
but from the protege documentation i deducted that implementing that functionality as import/export is not what i want - an import menu could allow extracting the desired owl parts from the file but upon exporting a clean owl file would be created without maintaining the rest of the file from which the owl was extracted from.
so i was thinking about a backend plugin? or is it possible to preserve information of the original file by using import/export? it is said to be much easier than a backend.

thanks a lot!
johannes