[protege-owl] DL Query: is it possible to get indirect individuals?

Thomas Schneider schneidt at cs.man.ac.uk
Thu Jul 8 01:02:48 PDT 2010

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: indiv_test.owl
Type: application/octet-stream
Size: 2480 bytes
Desc: not available
-------------- next part --------------

I claim that this is a bug in Protégé's GUI since I've created a
minimal example where the unintended behaviour occurs independently of
the selected reasoner, and the missing answer occurs at another place:

* The attached ontology contains 2 classes and 2 individuals in the
following 3 axioms:

   Super subClassOf Sub
   super instanceOf Super
   sub instanceOf super

* If I classify with Hermit 1.2.4, FaCT++ 1.4.0 or Pellet 2.1.0 and
execute the DL query "Super", then only "super" is shown as an
instance, not "sub". This is clearly a missing answer.

* When I change to the description of the individual "sub", then only
the type "Sub" is shown, not "Super". I understand that only selected
entailments are shown in the Description view. However, when I change
to the description of "Super", then "sub" is shown as an inferred
member. Therefore the above bug in the DL query tab is not the
reasoner's fault -- it rather seems that Protégé doesn't ask the right
question when processing a DL query, or forgets answers.

Cheers

Thomas