Search Mailing List Archives


Limit search to: Subject & Body Subject Author
Sort by: Reverse Sort
Limit to: All This Week Last Week This Month Last Month
Select Date Range     through    

[protege-owl] importing SKOS-XL

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Mon Jul 12 14:54:13 PDT 2010


I have started a discussion on the OWL API mailing list about this issue:

    *http://tinyurl.com/255bqrm*


-Timothy



On 07/09/2010 01:44 AM, Paul Hermans wrote:
> Protégé 4.1.0 build 102 and SKOS
>
> The SKOS ontology comes into 2 flavors: OWL-Full and OWL-DL both sharing
> the same ID (http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core), but to be found at
> different places:
> - http://www.w3.org/2009/08/skos-reference/skos.rdf (OWL-Full)
> - http://www.w3.org/2009/08/skos-reference/skos-owl1-dl.rdf (OWL-DL)
>
> In addition there is the SKOS eXtension for Labels (SKOS-XL) :
> http://www.w3.org/2009/08/skos-reference/skos-xl.rdf
> This ontology contains following import statement:
>    <owl:imports rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core"/>
>
> To Protégé now: (Situation 1)
> Starting new ontology
> Direct imports
>      Import an ontology contained in a document located on the web
>      uri: http://www.w3.org/2008/05/skos-xl
>
> The indirect import of  http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core doesn't happen.
>
> Result:
> Classes: not OK, skos:OrderedCollection lacking
> Object Properties: no properties available from the SKOS namespace
> Data Properties: skos:definition and skos:scopeNote propagated to Data
> Properties while defined as Annotation properties
> Annotation Properties: no properties available (different flavors of
> skos:note and labels) from the SKOS namespace
>
> Trying to solve this:
> By a direct import of the missing indirect import
> a) Using the DL version
> Using the DL version of http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core found at
> http://www.w3.org/2009/08/skos-reference/skos-owl1-dl.rdf
> and imported "using supplied physical URI (not recommended)"
>
> Result: Everything OK, except for Data Properties: skos:definition and
> skos:scopeNote propagated to Data Properties while defined as Annotation
> properties
>
> Saving and reopening the file keeps all the imports.
>
> b) Using the Full version
> Using the Full version of http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core found at
> http://www.w3.org/2009/08/skos-reference/skos.rdf
> and imported "using supplied physical URI (not recommended)"
>
> Result: Everything OK, except for Data Properties: skos:definition and
> skos:scopeNote propagated to Data Properties while defined as Annotation
> properties
>
> Saving and reopening the file looses the
> http://www.w3.org/2009/08/skos-reference/skos.rdf import which brings us
> back to situation 1.
>
> As it stands now, Protégé is hardly suited for SKOS work or am I missing
> something?
>
>
>    

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mailman.stanford.edu/pipermail/protege-owl/attachments/20100712/11ec1ff1/attachment.html>


More information about the protege-owl mailing list