[protege-owl] Create Rules in Eclipse using Protege 3.4.4

Jean-Marc Vanel jeanmarc.vanel at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 02:31:12 PDT 2010

2010/7/19 aros <aros at fotonik.dtu.dk>

>  Is there any way to design rules that can modify the already existing
> content on my ontology through my java application?

No, this is not at the level of writing rules , but modifications will occur
by a explicit action from the API or in the Jess tab by the relevant button.

> I am modeling a home scenario where I have an ontology with all the
> appliances. An example of a rule that I want to build in is:
>
> If (light_sensor detects >80% light) then turn off lamp
>
> In my ontology this would mean:
>
> light_sensor(?s) ^ hasState(?s,?state) ^swrlb:greaterThan(?state, 80) ->
> light(?l) ^hasState(?l, false)
>
> light_sensor state can change at any time and more than once (as the light
> sensor state can go down and up again).
>

> Can I use Jess to do this?

Yes

> Do you have any example code of how to do it?

The best there is this :
http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SWRLRuleEngineBridgeFAQ#nid6PK

For running rules embedded inside an application you might also want try our
EulerGUI API, based on Drools, an Open Source RETE engine. Indeed Jess has
license issues and AFAIK gets invalid after 1 month.

See "Using the EulerGUI API" :
http://eulergui.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/eulergui/trunk/eulergui/html/documentation.html#L4286
"Running SWRL rules in EulerGUI"

http://eulergui.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/eulergui/trunk/eulergui/html/documentation.html#L2628

And with extensions to the N3 rule language, explicit modification from
within rules is possible:
http://eulergui.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/eulergui/trunk/eulergui/html/documentation.html#EulerGUI

Also non-monotonic and Unique Name Assumption reasonning are possible in
EulerGUI (with the usual reservations about the unclean aspect).

--
Jean-Marc Vanel
Consulting, services, training,