[protege-owl] Ontology Visualization: Data and Object Properties.

McArthur, Christian cm1481 at txstate.edu
Fri Jul 23 12:42:56 PDT 2010

Hey Sean,

Thanks for the response.  With OntoGraf 1.0.1 I don't see the properties I'm wanting to display via the tooltip or in the Class->Description.  If I show one of the instances in the ontology, I can see see the properties in the tooltip and the property information through View->Individual Views->Property Assertions.  But this shows the specific information for that individual, rather than a the more general of the class level.

I've attached a couple .gif files from Protege 3.4.4's OntoViz showing an example of what I'm aiming for.  (If the attachments don't make it through the mailing list I can send it off-list.)  To describe the situation, we have a class "supplier" in the ontology that contains several object properties ("hasCertification" and "hasIndustryFocus" as a couple of examples) and several data properties ("hasRating" and "url" as examples).  It would be nice to get a visual representation of the Supplier class (Supplier.gif) that shows these properties.  (I could also take a screenshot of properties view of the class in Protege 3.4.4.)

Then to take things a step further it would be nice to show multiple classes, with their properties, and the relationships between the classes.  In our specific case (MultiRelation.gif), the "supplier" class is linked to the "industry" class through the "hasIndustryFocus" property.  "Supplier" is a subclass of "Actor" which is a property of the "RFP" class via "hasActor".

If this is something that could be done with OntoGraf in the future that would be great.  However, I wouldn't want to put any pressure on you and your group to implement it if there are other priorities with the project.  I was looking to see what options were out there for I go back to my professor, say "here's what I can produce", and go from there.

Thanks again for your response.
--Christian