[protege-owl] Protege-OWL on Linux

Corneliu-Claudiu Prodescu cprodescu at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 27 03:50:27 PDT 2010

Hi everyone,

My name is Corneliu-Claudiu Prodescu and I am doing an internship for
DFKI Bremen (http://www.dfki.de/web/contact/dfki-lab-bremen). My main
task is to package the software they are developing (Hets -
http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/agbkb/forschung/formal_methods/CoFI/hets/index_e.htm).
One of the things I also have to package is your software,
Protege-OWL. I packaged the version 4.0, using the source found in the
svn (http://smi-protege.stanford.edu/repos/protege/protege4/protege-standalone/trunk
 - revision 19613).

Everything is working, the problem is that in the Linux file
architecture, usually the software is installed in /usr/... (where
users do not have write access) and the configuration/logs/plugins are
stored in ~/.software_name . Of course, protege tries to write in its
log file at start and since the user does not have permissions,
protege fails. Hence it can only run in super-user mode (sudo protege
instead of protege). An easy fix would be to just store configuration,
logs and plugins in ~/.protege and change in the source code to search
alternatively for them in /home/current_user/.protege/ .

Please let me know if this kind of change is possible.

Best regards,
Prode