[protege-owl] About webprotege, I need your help~~

Jack Elliott jack.elliott at stanford.edu
Thu Nov 4 11:08:01 PDT 2010

Hi Rainbow,

On 11/02/2010 08:22 AM, caihong wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Here is my situation: I run webprotege in the "External Server Mode",
> and used the file-based ontolog projects. I had two questions:
>
> 1. How can I use the projects in database backend ?
You can convert any project to a database project, simply by opening
your .pprj file in the Protege front-end and clicking on File -> Convert
Project to Format and selecting Protege Database [1]. When you walk
through the database project creation wizard, be careful to take a note
of where you save your pprj file.

You will then need to add this pprj file to the server using the Server
Admin Panel. After starting up your server, you can open this panel by
opening up new Protege front-end and clicking Open Other, selecting the
Server panel, enter your user name and password and be very sure to
check the Administer Server option [2].

You can then add the database project you exported by selecting the
Metaproject tab, expanding Policy Controlled Object, selecting Project
and then clicking on the Create Instance icon (colored purple and
visible on the toolbar). Name your project, taking a careful note of the
project name, and fill in the location of the pprj file you saved during
the conversion to a protege database [3].

Be sure to save the project by clicking on the Save Metaproject button
on the Server control tab. Now restart the Protege server.

Within WebProtege is a directory called projectConfigurations, which
holds all the layout configurations. Browse to this directory and create
a layout configuration file, either from scratch or by copying an
appropriate existing one [4]. Name this file configuration_{project
name}.xml, where {project name} precisely matches the name of the
project you've created on the server. After restarting the Protege
server and rebuilding and restarting WebProtege you should see the
project available as one of the projects available within WebProtege.

Opening this project will open your newly created database project with
the configuration you've just created.

> 2. When I modified the ontology, how can I save it on the server? If
> the changes were saved, can I check the changes by comparing original
> project and modified one.
When using a server in database mode, there is no need for you to force
the server to save any data; it is all done automatically as soon as
requests are made.

For comparing two different ontologies, you can always use the PROMPT
tab of the Protege front-end.

http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/PROMPT#Documentation

many thanks,

Jack