[protege-owl] Different levels of relations

Paulo Urbano pub at
Fri Nov 5 10:51:14 PDT 2010

I have a little modeling problem.

Imagine that I want to model musical tastes of individuals using OWL 2.

Let's say I want to list the muscial tastes of different people at different
generalization levels: for example,

John likes Music
Frida likes Rock
Albert likes Progressive-Rock (sub-category of Rock)
Linda likes free-jazz (sub-category of Jazz).

How can I model this?

1) musical categories would be classes, but then how can I have a property
with class Person as domain (likes) whose value is a class and not an
individuals of a class? A kind of meta range...

2. Musical categories would be classes, each would have only one individual.
I could use puning to maintain the same names for classes and for the
respective individuals. So I would have to say that the class Free-Jazz,
would have only one individual Free-jazz and the class Music only one
individual Music and the same for Rock (super-class of Progressive-Rock),

3. Any other way?

Paulo Urbano