[protege-owl] Newbie question get error when trying to upgrade owel editor

John Armstrong johna318 at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 11 11:19:50 PST 2010

Hi all,

I downloaded protégé-owl 4.10 (build 213) a couple days am successfully
using it to view and create owl ontologies.

However, each time I start up I get a dialog box inviting me to upgrade the
owl editor and when I accept I get an error in the console window:

C:\Program Files\Protege_4.1_beta>java -Dlog4j.configuration=file:log4j.xml
-Den

tityExpansionLimit=100000000 -Dfile.encoding=utf-8
-Dorg.protege.plugin.dir=plug

ins -classpath bin/felix.jar;bin/ProtegeLauncher.jar
org.protege.osgi.framework.

Launcher

Starting Protege 4 OWL Editor (Version 4.1.0, Build = 213)

Platform:

    Java: JVM 1.6.0-oem-b104 Memory: 66M

    Language: en, Country: US

    Framework: Apache Software Foundation (1.5)

    OS: windowsvista (6.0)

    Processor: x86

Installed plugin Pellet Reasoner Plug-in

Installed plugin Browser View (OWLDoc)

Installed plugin Dlquery

Installed plugin Existential Tree

Installed plugin Owlviz Plug-in

Installed plugin The Protege 4 OWL Editor

Installed plugin OntoGraf Plug-in

Installed plugin HermiT Reasoner

Installed plugin The OWL API

Downloading OWL Editor

Copying OWL Editor

Could not safely install new version of the plugin.

Could not install plugin

Using OWL API version 3.1.0.20069

I can’t capture the full version ids of the old and new editor versions but
descriptions are:

Old: v4.1.0 Build 213 - 26 Oct, 2010

New:  v4.1.0 Update Build 213 - 4 Nov, 2010

I have succeeded in downloading and installing other plugins, just not the
editor.

-- John