[protege-owl] Newbie question: having trouble with prefix mapping table

John Armstrong johna318 at
Thu Nov 11 11:40:35 PST 2010

I’ve been using the Protégé Owl editor for about a week now and yesterday I
switched my preferences to use qnames for displaying the terms in my

I had previously downloaded the FOAF ontology and after changing to qnames I
saw almost all names display with their prefixes, including the base foaf
ones.  (An exception was names from the SKOS ontology, which appeared
without prefixes.)

I didn’t see any change in  the display of my own ontology after changing
the preference, so I went into the prefix mapping table and created an entry
for it, using the option to have the editor grab the base URI for me.

After I did this I redisplayed my ontology and still didn’t see the prefix

I also noticed that when I exited the program and restarted it my ontology
still did not display with my prefix, and moreover the prefix mapping I had
added previously was not in the table.

I had assumed that the table was editable, global (used for all taxonomies),
and persistent, but that didn’t match my actual experience.

I read the help page on the prefix mapping table but it didn’t clearly state
how it worked.

At this point not seeing the prefixes is just a minor nuisance, but I’d
still like to understand how the program works and whether I am
doing/assuming something wrong or the prefix mapping table feature is not
working correctly.

Can anyone advise me?

-- John