[protege-owl] Ontology reuse

Dário Abdulrehman dario.rehman at
Fri Nov 12 02:38:37 PST 2010

I would like to annotate an information system front end in the Biology
domain with RDFa.

There seems to be two ways to do it:

1. Create an ontology specifically for this purpose where I can create terms
(classes) such as GeneDescription along with data properties that describe a
gene (standard name, gene sequence, etc.), and use this terms to annotate
the XHTML code.

2. Reuse terms from existing vocabularies: it is difficult to find terms
that are exactly appropriate (I used the search
engine), sometimes it is not possible to find them, or I end up annotating
elements in the XHTML interface related with the same class with terms
coming from different vocabularies, which results in a messy "ontology". In
this case, where terms come from different ontologies the resulting
(implicit?) merged ontology can even be inconsistent.  I found a Protégé
plugin for ontology reuse Prosé, but it seems
to be non-trivial to use.

Since the main goal of using ontologies is the ability to perform inference
(if you keep them in OWL-DL) it seems to be a very difficult task to reuse
ontologies while keeping up with this restrictions.

Are there any benefits in providing RDFa annotations if the resulting RDF is
in RDFS/OWL-Full?

I am more inclined to follow the approach 1, even though the effort to build
a new ontology is big, it seems to be even harder to reuse existing