[protege-owl] Newbie question: having trouble with prefix mapping table

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Fri Nov 12 10:22:39 PST 2010

The problem is here on our end.  I am not sure what happened but the
prefix mapping code appears to be pretty badly broken.  I have made a
GForge for this [1].  I will try to fix this very soon but I think for
now you need to avoid these two renderers.

> At this point not seeing the prefixes is just a minor nuisance, but
> I'd still like to understand how the program works and whether I am
> doing/assuming something wrong or the prefix mapping table feature is
> not working correctly.

The prefixes in the mapping are defined in the ontology.  So in the
pizza ontology for instance there is a section of the ontology that
looks like this:

    <rdf:RDF xmlns="http://www.co-ode.org/ontologies/pizza/pizza.owl#"
          xml:base="http://www.co-ode.org/ontologies/pizza/pizza.owl"
          xmlns:owl11="http://www.w3.org/2006/12/owl11#"
          xmlns:pizza="http://www.co-ode.org/ontologies/pizza/pizza.owl#"
          xmlns:owl11xml="http://www.w3.org/2006/12/owl11-xml#"
          xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#"
          xmlns:owl="http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#">

This defines prefixes such as pizza: that can be expanded to their full
name,

    http://www.co-ode.org/ontologies/pizza/pizza.owl#.

Thus the prefixed name for the concept

    http://www.co-ode.org/ontologies/pizza/pizza.owl#CheeseyPizza

would be pizza:CheeseyPizza.  If the prefix is empty, e.g. just ":",
then instead of writing :CheeseyPizza we usually write CheeseyPizza.
When you change the prefixes, they will be saved into the ontology when
it is saved.

But the reason that you couldn't figure it out is because it currently
just doesn't work.

-Timothy

[1] https://bmir-gforge.stanford.edu/gf/project/owleditor/tracker/?action=TrackerItemEdit&tracker_item_id=2815&start=0