[protege-owl] preferences in ontologies

Dhaval Thakker semantek at ymail.com
Thu Nov 18 03:14:10 PST 2010

Hi I have an ontology design question. Not sure if this is the best place to discuss it. Please tell me off if it is not.
We have a fairly complex and large ontology that is to be consumed by few applications. What I am looking for is a structured and formalized way to assign application preferences per class/per property.
Here is an example to outline the issue,
The ontology has classes such as   "Person", "Politician", "MovieActor" where "Politician" and "MovieActor" are subclasses of Person. "Person" class has properties such as "date of birth", "birthplace" and "spouse". "Politician" class have some specific properties such as "political party" and similarly for MovieActor there are some specific properties such as "films acted in" and so on.
We have one application that is celebrity oriented and can display/is interested only in few properties and few classes. For this I would like to do such as:Celebrity Application      -> Movie Actor            - spouse            - films acted in[states that "spouse" property from Person->MovieActor inheritance is of more importance here than others]
Politics Application    -> Politician            - date of birth            - political party[states that "date of birth" property from Person->Politician inheritance is of more importance here]
As you can see, I want some preference mechanism for various applications that uses this ontology and have different view of importance of Classes->Properties.
Has anybody come across this sort of design decision in their applications? And if so, is it possible to do it in OWL/Ontology or XML schema is the only option here?
Thanks
Dhaval