[protege-owl] preferences in ontologies

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Thu Nov 18 09:48:08 PST 2010

My immediate reaction, maybe someone else will have a better one, is
that you could use ontology annotations.  So 'Movie Actor' could have an
'important properties' annotation of "spouse, films acted in, ..." but
politican could have an 'important properties annotation of 'date of
birth, political property'.  Annotations can then be handled in whatever
way you want by your application.

Another possibility would be to keep the preference information in a
separate file.

> or XML schema is the only option here?

If by this you mean to parse the owl ontology with an xml (not an owl)
parser then this is strongly discouraged.  By taking this path you would
be guaranteeing your application a slow, agonizing and angry death.
When this has come up before, it has been argued that the OWL/XML format
is consistent enough for a xml parse and perhaps this is true.  But the
RDF/XML format is very difficult to accurately parse without OWL or RDF
tools because syntactically identical RDF ontologies can be represented
in many completely different ways.

-Timothy