[protege-owl] Problems with Manchester OWL Editor

Alan Ruttenberg alanruttenberg at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 06:12:30 PST 2010

All right. I see what you see (you need to update to protege 4.1, btw
- 4.02 is obsolete)
This issue exposes several bugs.

Here is the offending clause:

  <rdf:Property rdf:about="http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/name"
vs:term_status="testing" rdfs:label="name" rdfs:comment="A name for
some thing.">
    <rdf:type rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#DatatypeProperty"/>
    <rdfs:domain rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#Thing"/>
    <rdfs:range rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#Literal"/>
    <rdfs:isDefinedBy rdf:resource="http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/"/>
    <rdfs:subPropertyOf
rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#label"/>
  </rdf:Property>

1) The foaf file is not valid OWL-DL (nor does it claim to be). In
OWL, rdfs:label is an annotation property. As name is a datatype
property. Datatype properties can't be subproperty of annotation
property. The tool is not telling you that.

2) Even though rdfs:label is nowhere declared to be an object
property, protege/owlapi is deciding it is one.

3) Having decided it is one, since name is a subproperty of label, it
is deciding it too is an object property.

4) Properties can't be both object and data properties in OWL DL. The
tool is not telling you that.

5) Worse, you can actually use the property as both a data property
and an object property and none of the reasoners will complain.
(attached file).

I'm ccing this to Matthew Horridge, who writes the OWLAPI, and to the
reasoner developers as well. Hopefully between them and Tim they will
figure out what's broken where and repair this.

Unfortunately, if you want to use foaf in OWL DL, then you must either
petition the developers to make one that is OWL DL compatible (not
hard - I could help) or simply selected terms you want to use within
protege. You can set the URI of a term using the Refactor>Change
entity URI after you define a property to set its URI to the foaf URI.

Tim, the Gforge item isn't relevant here, as this isn't a valid case of punning.

-Alan