[protege-owl] Problems with Manchester OWL Editor

Alan Ruttenberg alanruttenberg at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 11:54:31 PST 2010

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 11:40 AM, Timothy Redmond <tredmond at stanford.edu> wrote:

> All right. I see what you see (you need to update to protege 4.1, btw
> - 4.02 is obsolete)
>
> This is right.
>
> I'm ccing this to Matthew Horridge, who writes the OWLAPI, and to the
> reasoner developers as well. Hopefully between them and Tim they will
> figure out what's broken where and repair this.
>
> Correct me if I am wrong, but I didn't see this problem with Protege 4.1

You are wrong. As usual, I test with the latest version before I report a bug.
The file attached to my previous message, which is invalid OWL-DL
loads and reasons without note.

You can see the issue by looking for the name property, which you will
see in both the object property(subproperty of label) and data
property (top level) tabs. It has the same URI in both cases -
http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/name

In the individuals tab you can see an individual named "twonames"
which uses the property as both an object and data property.

For reference, the relevant section of the spec is
http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/REC-owl2-syntax-20091027/#Typing_Constraints_of_OWL_2_DL
"No IRI I is declared in Ax as being of more than one type of
property; that is, no I is declared in Ax to be both object and data,
object and annotation, or data and annotation property."

-Alan