[protege-owl] OWL-API: .jars to get started?

Timothy Redmond tredmond at
Mon Nov 22 11:59:03 PST 2010

On 11/22/2010 11:39 AM, thealy wrote:
> Using Protege-OWL 4.1 Beta.
> I'm attempting to do development work based on several .owl ontology
> files our group is working on. I have searched all around the Wiki,
> etc. but can't find a straightforward list and source for all the
> necessary .jar file(s) I need to use some of the example code that
> appears to be just what I need to get rolling - using OWLModel,
> OWLNamedClass, OWLIndividual classes.

If you are just working with the OWL API (e.g. you are not building a
Protege 4 plugin) then you only need one jar, owlapi-bin.jar, which can
be found at There is also some documentation
there showing how to do different things using the owl api.

If you are developing a Protege 4.1 plugin, then there is a
documentation page here

This page includes information on how to set up an eclipse or intellij
IDE.  There is also some explanation of how to write a plugin (including
how to put together a skeleton project for your plugin in five minutes).