[protege-owl] OWL-API: .jars to get started?

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Mon Nov 22 15:16:03 PST 2010

On 11/22/2010 01:00 PM, thealy wrote:
> Timothy-
>
> I have added the owlapi-bin.jar to my classpath, but I'm still unable
> to resolve several classes from this example that I'm trying to use:
>
> http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/ProtegeOWL_API_Advanced_Topics

The problem is that this example describes how to use an api that is
incompatible with the Manchester OWL api.

The web page that you include describes how to program using the Protege
3 OWL api.  You would use this api if you wanted to build a Protege 3
plugin or you have need of some specific Protege 3 functionality.
Otherwise I would not particularly recommend this api.  The jars for the
Protege 3 OWL api can be found in a Protege 3 distribution.  You will
need protege.jar and the jars in the directory
plugins/edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.

If you are programming against the Manchester OWL api (owlapi-bin.jar)
and not writing a Protege 4 plugin, then the recommended place to look
for documentation would be

    http://owlapi.sourceforge.net/documentation.html.

If you are programming against the Manchester OWL and you are
additionally writing a plugin then you will also need to look at the
documentation here:

    http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/Protege4DevDocs

-Timothy