[protege-owl] FAQ: How do I create numeric value restrictions such as "wheels with diameter over 10"?

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Tue Nov 23 08:01:06 PST 2010

I am noticing that my reply was not very informative and I am guessing
this is the problem here.  I think that this is working in build 213.
But if you load an ontology that was already incorrectly written then a
reasoner will correctly complain about the ontology.

The problem arose because Protege wrote the restriction

    hasCalorificContentValue some integer[>= 400]

incorrectly.  In the previous version of Protege, when this restriction
was created it gave the 400 value a string type.  In the new version of
Protege it gives the 400 value the type integer.   Once an ontology
contains the wrong version of the restriction, a reasoner will correctly
inform you of a problem.  If you delete the offending restriction and
recreate it then things will be fine again.

I did the following steps.

   1. Start Protege (Build 213) and open the pizza ontology from the
      uri: http://www.co-ode.org/ontologies/pizza/pizza.owl.  This will
      give you a fresh good copy.
   2. Create a data property, hasCaloricContentValue.
   3. Select the Pizza class and create a subclass, HighCaloriePizza.
   4. Using the class expression editor give HighCaloriePizza the
      definition "Pizza and hasCaloricContentValue some integer[>= 400]".
   5. Check #1: Save the ontology and look at the rdf in a text editor.
      Search for HighCaloriePizza and you will see that the datatype
      restriction gives the integer 400 the type integer.  Previously it
      was giving the type string.
   6. Go to the individuals tab, select the Pizza class, create an
      individual, myGoodPizza, and give it a data property assertion of
      hasCorificContentValue 600 of type integer.
   7. Check #2: Start the reasoner (I used Hermit 1.3.1).  There are no
      errors and when myGoodPizza is selected it shows up as having a
      type HighCaloriePizza.

Here is what the definition of HighCaloriePizza looks like in my version
of the Pizza ontology:

     <owl:Class rdf:about="&pizza;HighCaloriePizza">
         <owl:equivalentClass>
             <owl:Class>
                 <owl:intersectionOf rdf:parseType="Collection">
                     <rdf:Description rdf:about="&pizza;Pizza"/>
                     <owl:Restriction>
                         <owl:onProperty rdf:resource="&pizza;hasCaloricContentValue"/>
                         <owl:someValuesFrom>
                             <rdfs:Datatype>
                                 <owl:onDatatype rdf:resource="&xsd;integer"/>
                                 <owl:withRestrictions rdf:parseType="Collection">
                                     <rdf:Description>
                                         <xsd:minInclusive rdf:datatype="&xsd;integer">400</xsd:minInclusive>
                                     </rdf:Description>
                                 </owl:withRestrictions>
                             </rdfs:Datatype>
                         </owl:someValuesFrom>
                     </owl:Restriction>
                 </owl:intersectionOf>
             </owl:Class>
         </owl:equivalentClass>
         <rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource="&pizza;Pizza"/>
     </owl:Class>

Note the xsd:integer declaration around the 400 value.

-Timothy