[protege-owl] Managing Annotation Properties in P4

Alan Ruttenberg alanruttenberg at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 18:46:01 PST 2010

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 10:39 AM, Hammond, Tony <t.hammond at nature.com>wrote:

>  Hi:
>
> I am using P4.1.0 (build 213) on a Mac and am having problems understanding
> how to manage annotation properties. Whenever I import an ontology or an RDF
> document (RDF/XML or RDF/TTL) it seems that simple DC properties are
> automatically translated to annotation properties. Is there any way to
> override this behaviour so that I can treat DC properties as basic datatype
> properties?

Regrettably this is built in to the OWLAPI that protege uses. I submitted a
bug report and to my surprise the developer closed the bug with "wontfix",
despite it being  not part of the OWL spec. Here's the ticket.

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=595534&aid=2975913&group_id=90989

For this and some other reasons I landed up building my own build of
protege/owlapi. Unfortunately it's a few months out of date by now, though
it might be of some use - let me know and I'll send you a pointer. If you
are up for doing your own build, I can send you the patches to the OWLAPI.

I think the protege developers could undo this if they have the will.

Best,
Alan