[protege-owl] Managing Annotation Properties in P4

Alan Ruttenberg alanruttenberg at
Sun Nov 28 18:46:01 PST 2010

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 10:39 AM, Hammond, Tony <t.hammond at>wrote:

>  Hi:
> I am using P4.1.0 (build 213) on a Mac and am having problems understanding
> how to manage annotation properties. Whenever I import an ontology or an RDF
> document (RDF/XML or RDF/TTL) it seems that simple DC properties are
> automatically translated to annotation properties. Is there any way to
> override this behaviour so that I can treat DC properties as basic datatype
> properties?
Regrettably this is built in to the OWLAPI that protege uses. I submitted a
bug report and to my surprise the developer closed the bug with "wontfix",
despite it being  not part of the OWL spec. Here's the ticket.

For this and some other reasons I landed up building my own build of
protege/owlapi. Unfortunately it's a few months out of date by now, though
it might be of some use - let me know and I'll send you a pointer. If you
are up for doing your own build, I can send you the patches to the OWLAPI.

I think the protege developers could undo this if they have the will.