[protege-owl] functional relation doesn't work. A Protege or HermiT bug??

Peter Robinson peter.robinson at charite.de
Mon Nov 29 07:18:47 PST 2010

Hi,

We have noticed that Protege seems to be failing to draw the correct
inference about functional relations. I am using the Hermit inference
engine in the latest version of protege under linux. The simplest case
that doesn't work where we think it should is seen in the following
ontology. Since "myrelation" is declared to be functional, then if I
have the assertions

R functional
HP R A .
HP R B .

Then I should be able to infer that A and B are the same individual.
This is not shown in Protege. However, if one declares that A
differentIndividual B and runs HermiT, then an inconsistency is found.

The following mini ontology shows the problem. Is this a known HermiT
issue or is this something with Protege?

Thanks Peter

Prefix: xsd: <http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#>
Prefix: owl: <http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#>
Prefix: xml: <http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace>