[protege-owl] functional relation doesn't work. A Protege or HermiT bug??

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Mon Nov 29 12:23:36 PST 2010

On 11/29/2010 07:18 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have noticed that Protege seems to be failing to draw the correct
> inference about functional relations. I am using the Hermit inference
> engine in the latest version of protege under linux. The simplest case
> that doesn't work where we think it should is seen in the following
> ontology. Since "myrelation" is declared to be functional, then if I
> have the assertions
>
> R functional
> HP R A .
> HP R B .
>

> Then I should be able to infer that A and B are the same individual.
> This is not shown in Protege.

If the reasoner is not turned on, then Protege will not show inferences
like this.  Protege will only show the asserted statements unless you
take some action to see inferences.

In addition, when the reasoner is started, it won't show every possible
inference.  You can see and control the inferences that are displayed by
clicking Reasoner->Configure->Displayed Inferences.  In the released
versions of Protege 4.1 the same individuals inference was not yet
included in the list.  But there was a request for this fairly recently
and the latest Protege with the latest update of the owleditor
(File->Check for plugins) will show same individuals (see the attached
screenshot).

-Timothy