[protege-owl] Query about constructing an ontology based on received OWL-DL fragments on your behalf

Thomas Schneider tschneider at
Tue Feb 7 23:52:14 PST 2012

Hi William and Timothy,

On 07.02.2012, at 18:33, William Fitzgerald wrote:

> On 07/02/12 16:35, Timothy Redmond wrote:
>> In addition, a set of tools that you should be aware of in this context are the OWL modularity
>> tools. These allow you to provide a set of entities (classes and properties say) and extract from an
>> ontology a set of axioms that say everything that is known about those entities based on the larger
>> ontology. Sorry I didn't express that well but I believe there is a Protege plugin that does this.
> Excellent, I'll look around for such plugins.

Timothy's description is an excellent pointer to locality-based modules which are currently supported by the OWL API, but not yet by a Protégé plugin. The most convenient way to extract them is probably via the web service:

Enter the ontology contents or URL, a set of entities (class or property names); check whether you want to have all super-/subclasses added to that set; and extract the module. The module is a subset of the ontology's axioms that is sufficient to entail all knowledge the ontology has about the terms specified (including their super-/subclasses if this option was chosen). For the output, you can choose between RDF/XML (to be saved and opened in Protégé) or axioms view (for inspection right in the browser).