[protege-owl] Query about constructing an ontology based on received OWL-DL fragments on your behalf

William Fitzgerald wfitzgerald at 4c.ucc.ie
Wed Feb 8 01:51:30 PST 2012

Hi Thomas

> Timothy's description is an excellent pointer to locality-based modules which are currently supported by the OWL API, but not yet by a Protégé plugin. The most convenient way to extract them is probably via the web service:
>
> http://owl.cs.manchester.ac.uk/modularity/

Excellent resource.

Perhaps this is a silly question/comment (and while not a research area of my own) but I presume its
not trivial to extract the minimum set of axioms, classes, individuals and property relations
required to describe a given module. What I mean is, it may not be easy to know when to stop adding
knowledge about a particular concept or individual for example within a module without ending up
adding the entire ontology.

I am looking forward to exploring OWL-2 via Protege 4 and OWL-Java API. What had previously stopped
me was the use of SWRL and SQWRL that I applied to my own area of security research.

Many thanks,
Will.

William M. Fitzgerald (BSc (Hons), MSc, PhD)
Postdoctoral Research Fellow,
Cork Constraint Computation Centre,
Department of Computer Science,
University College Cork,