[protege-owl] How to model different binding strengths of data entities to concepts?

Patrick McCrae – LangTec patrick.mccrae at langtec.de
Wed Feb 8 09:31:26 PST 2012

Hi, All -

We are currently in the process of developing an application for mapping
input elements obtained from user input against concepts within our
ontology. In the ontology we store the knowledge which data entity
activates which concept.

The nature of our application domain is such that different data
elements activate their concepts with different strengths, quite similar
to the different activation levels obtained with different words in
natural language for different mental concepts in the human brain.

While the straight-forward mapping of data elements to concepts as such
pretty much is a solved problem (at least within the scope of our
application domain) I am wondering how this difference in activation or
binding strength from entities to concepts could suitably be modelled in
an OWL ontology.

Ideally, we would like to be able to obtain tuplets of the following kind:

    <data entity1, concept 1, binding strength 1, concept 2, binding
    strength 2, ... >

in order to express that 'data entity 1' binds to 'concept n' with
'binding strength n' (which probably would be a simple scalar value).

So here is my question: Do you have any suggestion as to how such a
scalar-valued binding or activation strength could be modelled
conveniently in an OWL ontology?

I very much look forward to your comments!

Thanks and kind regards from Hamburg -

Patrick McCrae