[protege-owl] equivalent class and N-ary Relations

Arnab Sinha sinharnab at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 09:29:45 PST 2012

Hi All,

Here is a situation I would like to present before I put forward my
question:

I tried some minor modifications to the N-ary relations using "Use Case 1"
in http://www.w3.org/TR/swbp-n-aryRelations/ . I required a numerical
probability value (like int[>= 40]) instead of discrete values (like High,
Medium or Low) and so took the "diagnosis_probablity" as a data property.

Now I defined two connecting classes "Diagnosis_Relation_20" and
"Diagnosis_Relation_40" as equivalent classes which differs in the minimum
probability value. The definition of the class Diagnosis_Relation_20 in OWL
is as follows:

    <owl:Class rdf:about="
http://protege.stanford.edu/swbp/diagnosis.owl#Diagnosis_Relation_20">
        <owl:equivalentClass>
            <owl:Class>
                <owl:intersectionOf rdf:parseType="Collection">
                    <owl:Restriction>
                        <owl:onProperty rdf:resource="
http://protege.stanford.edu/swbp/diagnosis.owl#diagnosis_value"/>
                        <owl:someValuesFrom rdf:resource="
http://protege.stanford.edu/swbp/diagnosis.owl#Disease"/>
                    </owl:Restriction>
                    <owl:Restriction>
                        <owl:onProperty rdf:resource="
http://protege.stanford.edu/swbp/diagnosis.owl#diag_prob"/>
                        <owl:allValuesFrom>
                            <rdfs:Datatype>
                                <owl:onDatatype rdf:resource="&xsd;int"/>
                                <owl:withRestrictions
rdf:parseType="Collection">
                                    <rdf:Description>
                                        <xsd:minInclusive
rdf:datatype="&xsd;integer">20</xsd:minInclusive>
                                    </rdf:Description>
                                </owl:withRestrictions>
                            </rdfs:Datatype>
                        </owl:allValuesFrom>
                    </owl:Restriction>
                </owl:intersectionOf>
            </owl:Class>
        </owl:equivalentClass>
    </owl:Class>

Now, invoking the reasoner infers class Diagnosis_Relation_20 as superclass
of Diagnosis_Relation_40. I am unable to understand the explanation of this
inference. It seems something obvious but I want to get the detailed
explanation. If someone can help me out, it would be really nice.

Have a good day!

Thanks in advance,
Arnab.