[protege-owl] equivalent class and N-ary Relations

Arnab Sinha sinharnab at
Thu Feb 16 09:29:45 PST 2012

Hi All,

Here is a situation I would like to present before I put forward my

I tried some minor modifications to the N-ary relations using "Use Case 1"
in . I required a numerical
probability value (like int[>= 40]) instead of discrete values (like High,
Medium or Low) and so took the "diagnosis_probablity" as a data property.

Now I defined two connecting classes "Diagnosis_Relation_20" and
"Diagnosis_Relation_40" as equivalent classes which differs in the minimum
probability value. The definition of the class Diagnosis_Relation_20 in OWL
is as follows:

    <owl:Class rdf:about="">
                <owl:intersectionOf rdf:parseType="Collection">
                        <owl:onProperty rdf:resource=""/>
                        <owl:someValuesFrom rdf:resource=""/>
                        <owl:onProperty rdf:resource=""/>
                                <owl:onDatatype rdf:resource="&xsd;int"/>

Now, invoking the reasoner infers class Diagnosis_Relation_20 as superclass
of Diagnosis_Relation_40. I am unable to understand the explanation of this
inference. It seems something obvious but I want to get the detailed
explanation. If someone can help me out, it would be really nice.

Have a good day!

Thanks in advance,