[protege-owl] equivalent class and N-ary Relations

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Thu Feb 16 11:59:39 PST 2012

It sounds like you are talking about something like the attached
ontology.  (I used the Manchester syntax for clarity.)  This ontology
has two definitions:

    Class: Diagnosis_Relation_20

         EquivalentTo:
             (diagnosis_value some Disease)
              and (diag_prob only xsd:int[>= 20])

    Class: Diagnosis_Relation_40

         EquivalentTo:
             (diagnosis_value some Disease)
              and (diag_prob only xsd:int[>= 40])

In this case it can be deduced that Diagnosis_Relation_40 is a subclass
of Diagnosis_Relation_20.

Putting this into English, I would say that Diagnosis_Relation_40 is the
class containing all individuals that have a diagnosis_value that
belongs to the Disease class and such that all their diag_prob values
are integers greater than or equal to 40.

Suppose that we have an individual 'i' that is a member of
Diagnosis_Relation_40.  Since the individual 'i' has all its diag_prob
values greater than or equal to 40, it also follows that all the
diag_prob values for the individual 'i' are also integers greater than
or equal to 20.  Thus 'i' satisfies the requirements for belonging to
Diagnosis_Relation_20:  all its dig_prob values are integers greater
than or equal to 20 and it has some diagnosis_value in the Disease class.

Does this help?

-Timothy