[protege-owl] equivalent class and N-ary Relations

Arnab Sinha sinharnab at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 02:29:44 PST 2012

Thanks Tim for the explanation. Yes it help me and confirmed that it's
working the way I wanted. Then the error to my problem lies elsewhere.
Could you please suggest something?

I created few relations by using two basic relations(Diagnosis_Relation_20
and Fever_Relation_20) by varying the diag_prob values.
Diagnosis_Relation_x is a relation to link any disease with probablity >=x
and Fever_Relation_y is a relation to link Fever with a probablity >= y.
The definition for the classes with diag_prob>=20 is as follows:

Class: Diagnosis_Relation_20
    EquivalentTo:
        (diagnosis_value some Disease)
         and (diag_prob only xsd:int[>= 20])

    SubClassOf:
        Relations

Class: Fever_Relation_20
    EquivalentTo:
        (diagnosis_value some Fever)
         and (diag_prob only xsd:int[>= 20])

    SubClassOf:
        Relations

Next, I defined two classes of patients depending on the disease they have.
Having only Fever>=80 is minor whereas having some Disease>=70 accompanied
with Fever>=30 is considered serious. Definitions as below:

Class: Minor_Patient
    EquivalentTo:
        has_diagnosis only Fever_Relation_80

Class: Serious_Patient
    EquivalentTo:
        has_diagnosis only
            (Diagnosis_Relation_70
             and Fever_Relation_30)

Now the problem is some patients are not being categorized as required. Fow
example, individual Beth is reasoned to be Serious_Patient correctly but
individual John is reasoned to be both Serious and Minor. How can I avoid
John to be reasoned as Minor_Patient? The definitions of the indiviuals are:

Individual: Beth
    Types:
        Patients,
        has_diagnosis only
            (Diagnosis_Relation_70
             and Fever_Relation_50)

Individual: John
    Types:
        Patients,
        has_diagnosis only
            (Diagnosis_Relation_80
             and Fever_Relation_50)

I'm attaching the ontology to look into. Please let me know where I'm
possibly wrong and suggest me some better workaround if this is not the
correct approach.

Cheers,
- Arnab.