[protege-owl] Importing one ontology to another in a java API

samane abdi samane.abdi at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 07:15:08 PST 2012

Dear Experts,

I built two ontologies A and B. I want to import ontology B to ontology A
and add "class b" and all its relations and individuals from Ontology B as
a subclass of "class a" from Ontology A. How can I encode this in a java
API(such as Eclipse).

Here is a fragment of my code which does not give me the desired result.

"public static void main(String[] args) throws OntologyLoadException,
URISyntaxException {
 JenaOWLModel owlModel;
//JenaOWLModel owlModel = ProtegeOWL.createJenaOWLModel();
    String DAL2Ontology = "file:///home/A.owl";
owlModel = ProtegeOWL.createJenaOWLModelFromURI(DAL2Ontology);
 //String medicalOntology =
"file:///home/sabdi/Applications/Protege3.4.8/MedicalOntology/Medical.owl";
//if you want to use a custom prefix for the namespace of the imported
ontology, uncomment the following line
 owlModel.getNamespaceManager().setPrefix(new URI("file:///home/B.owl#"),
"myPrefix");

//create the ImportHelper
 ImportHelper importHelper = new ImportHelper((JenaOWLModel)owlModel);

//this is the URI from where your ontology is created
 //URI importUri =
URIUtilities.createURI("file:///home/sabdi/Applications/Protege3.4.8/test/DAL2.owl");
URI importUri2 = URIUtilities.createURI("file:///home/B.owl");
 //add the import (multiple imports can be added here)
//importHelper.addImport(importUri);
 importHelper.addImport(importUri2);

try {
    //do the actual import
 importHelper.importOntologies();
    //importHelper.importOntologies(true);
 } catch (Exception e) {
    e.printStackTrace();
 }
  }"

Can you suggest me a solution or a tutorial for this?

Thanks,
Samane

--
Samane