[protege-owl] Importing one ontology to another in a java API

samane abdi samane.abdi at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 03:39:37 PST 2012

Hi Timothy,
Thanks for your reply. I have added the line that you mentioned. It just
shows that the ontology B was imported in the namespace window with prefix
"myPrefix" . However, when I open the metadata tab or class tab or property
tab, etc... there is no entity from ontology B(is not imported) in Ontology
A. How can I see the imported entities in ontology A?
 In addition, I do not know how to add "class b" from ontology B as a
subclass of "class a" from ontology A. Is there any solution on this?

Thanks,
Samane

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 7:08 PM, Timothy Redmond <tredmond at stanford.edu>wrote:

> Actually your code seemed to work perfectly on the first try.  The one
> thing that might be an issue is that perhaps you expected to find the
> modified ontology on disk whereas your code simply loads it into memory.  I
> added a
>
>  owlModel.save(URI.create("file:///Volumes/Shared/ontologies/simple/pizza-with-import.owl"));
>

> line (your file path will differ) and was able to examine the modified
> version of the ontology on the disk.
>
> -Timothy
>

> On 2/21/12 7:15 AM, samane abdi wrote:
>
> Dear Experts,
>
>  I built two ontologies A and B. I want to import ontology B to ontology
> A and add "class b" and all its relations and individuals from Ontology B
> as a subclass of "class a" from Ontology A. How can I encode this in a java
> API(such as Eclipse).
>
>  Here is a fragment of my code which does not give me the desired result.
>
>  "public static void main(String[] args) throws OntologyLoadException,
> URISyntaxException {
>  JenaOWLModel owlModel;
>  //JenaOWLModel owlModel = ProtegeOWL.createJenaOWLModel();
>     String DAL2Ontology = "file:///home/A.owl";
>  owlModel = ProtegeOWL.createJenaOWLModelFromURI(DAL2Ontology);
>  //String medicalOntology =
> "file:///home/sabdi/Applications/Protege3.4.8/MedicalOntology/Medical.owl"
> ;
>  //if you want to use a custom prefix for the namespace of the imported
> ontology, uncomment the following line
>  owlModel.getNamespaceManager().setPrefix(new URI("file:///home/B.owl#"),
> "myPrefix");
>
>  //create the ImportHelper
>  ImportHelper importHelper = new ImportHelper((JenaOWLModel)owlModel);
>
>  //this is the URI from where your ontology is created
>  //URI importUri = URIUtilities.createURI(
> "file:///home/sabdi/Applications/Protege3.4.8/test/DAL2.owl");
>  URI importUri2 = URIUtilities.createURI("file:///home/B.owl");
>  //add the import (multiple imports can be added here)
>  //importHelper.addImport(importUri);
>  importHelper.addImport(importUri2);
>
>  try {
>     //do the actual import
>  importHelper.importOntologies();
>     //importHelper.importOntologies(true);
>  } catch (Exception e) {
>     e.printStackTrace();
>  }
>   }"
>

>  Can you suggest me a solution or a tutorial for this?
>
>  Thanks,
>  Samane
>
>  --
> Samane