[protege-owl] SWRL rules not working in SWRLTab in Protege 3.4.8

Deokar, Amit deokar.amit at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 11:02:51 PST 2012

I am using the SWRLTab in Protege 3.4.8 and have installed the Jess jar
appropriately. I use to have the Jess rule engine working fine with the
SWRL Tab a few versions back (don't recollect exactly which versions, but
about an year ago) in Protege 3.4. However, currently, the same rules don't
work in 3.4.8.

When I click OWL+SWRL -> Jess, it shows me results like the one below:
SWRL rule and relevant OWL knowledge successfully converted to rule engine
knowledge.
Number of SWRL rules exported to rule engine: 39
Number of OWL class declarations exported to rule engine: 83
Number of OWL individual declarations exported to rule engine: 1174
Number of other OWL axioms exported to rule engine: 4226
The transfer took 4400 millisecond(s).
Press the "Run Jess" button to run the rule engine.

When I click the Run Jess button, I get an error message like the one below:
Exception running rule engine: error running Jess rule engine: Jess
reported an error in routine inferOWLPropertyAssertionAxiom
while executing (inferOWLPropertyAssertionAxiom Myontology:hasName ?x ?y)
 while executing defrule MAIN::@A475_e37e9bc9_646a_42e0_8601_3452f19d73a1.
  Message: error occured when inferring OWL property assertion axiom: .

As a workaround, I was able to get the SWRL rules working in the Protege
4.2 till I encountered that it doesn't work with SWRL built-in notEqual
correctly. So, I am stuck with not able to use SWRL rules either in Protege
3.4.8 or Protege 4.2.

Any insights would help. Thanks.

Amit