[protege-owl] Protege-OWL API and queries

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Fri Feb 24 15:07:26 PST 2012

> I just found a solution for my problem by using "getPropertyValues". But I
> still need your help to be able to retrieve individuals using transitive
> ObjectProperties.
>
> For instance,
>
> A -olderThan->B
> B-olderThan->C
>
> When I use "getPropertyValues" I can only get direct relationships ... It's
> impossible for me to get for instance that A-olderThan->C.

So how you do this depends on a couple of things.  First if you are
interested only in asserted knowledge and you are going to do the
transitive closure, then you will probably have to roll your own
routine.  Fortunately this is not too difficult (a couple of very short
recursive routines).

If you are using the Manchester OWL api (used by Protege 4) then there
is documentation on how to use a reasoner here [1].  However if you are
using the Manchester OWL api in the context of a Protege 4 plugin, then
there is some documentation on how to get the Protege reasoner here [2].

Finally if you are using the Protege 3 OWL api then there is some
documentation on how to use a reasoner here [3].

-Timothy

[1] http://owlapi.sourceforge.net/documentation.html
[2] http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/PluginAnatomy#Using_a_Reasoner
[3] http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/ProtegeReasonerAPI